Tri-Colours Chiffon: Coffee/Chocolate/Vanilla
6 egg yolk
30g castor sugar
¼ tsp salt
80g corn oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
150g self raising flour
6 egg white
100g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
Pan size: 20 cm – can use 22-23 cm as I have some left over batter which is enough to fill two muffin cups.
1 tsp of dark cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of fine coffee powder
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Sift flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. With a hand whisk, whisk oil, vanilla, egg yolk, milk, salt and 30g sugar together until combined.
4. Sift flour and baking powder into the egg yolk batter and whisk until smooth.
5. With an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites till frothy then add cream of tartar and gradually add sugar and continue to beat until firm peaks form.
6. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk batter until combined before adding the next 1/3 portion and mix again. Finally add the last portion and use a spatula to scoop from bottom and fold up until no streaks of white meringue can be seen. Remove 2 cups of batter and mix in a tablespoon of coffee powder. Remove another 3/4 cup of batter and mix with a teaspoon of dark chocolate powder.
7. Fill the tube pan with half the vanilla batter, followed by half the coffee batter and drop the chocolate batter randomly on top of the coffee batter. Repeat adding the remaining batter in the same order. Use a skewer to go through the batter a few times to create the marbling effect.
8. Place pan into a preheated oven and bake for 10 mins at 180C until the top has browned sightly and then reduce heat to 160C and continue baking for 60 mins or until cooked. Temperature and timing is indicative only. Please adjust according to your oven. You may tent the cake if it’s getting too brown.