Savory filling inside, these buns are really irresistible! Soft till the next day!
Charcoal buns with 5K Dollars Starter Dough Bread Recipe
105g bread flour
45g cake flour (low protein flour)
3g instant yeast
105g bread flour
55g cake flour (low protein flour)
10g Charcoal powder
¼ teaspoon salt
12g milk powder
1 egg (weight 57g without shell)
10 ml water (original calls for 27ml) ~ add more only when the dough is still too dry
36g butter, room temperature
Methods: (with stand mixer)
1. Add in all the ingredients into the stand mixer bowl and mix to combine. I used a spatula to do this as I find it easier.
2. Cover the dough and let it rise for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
1. Add the rest of ingredients for main dough except butter into starter dough. Knead until a rough formed.
2. Then, add in butter and continue kneading till a smooth and elastic.
3. Cover the dough and let it rise to just about doubled in size.
4. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Take a piece and roll it round and then flatten into a disc. Scoop a tablespoon of filling into the middle and gather the edges together to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough.
5. Place into baking sheet and leave to rise for the last time, till doubled in size. Bake in preheated oven at 160C for about 25 minutes.
*Make sure the baking sheet is lined with parchment or silpat for easy buns removal. Leave to cool on wire rack.
Filling for these buns:-
300g minced pork
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp Hsiao Sing wine (chinese rice wine)- omit if you don’t have it
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup water
1 tsp corn flour mixed in 1 tbsp water
1. Heat wok with 2 tablespoons oil and stirfry the garlic till slightly golden brown.
2. Add minced meat and quickly use your spatula to break up the meat and keep stirring until meat turned opaque.
3.Add seasoning and continue to stir fry until well combined.
4. Add 1/2 cup water and simmer till water has been reduced by half.
5. Add in corn flour mixture to thicken the sauce. Dish up and leave to cool.