Latest bake @ 13/4/2016
egg yolk ~ 100g (about 5 eggs)
whole egg 1
salt ~ 1/4 tsp
corn oil ~ 60g
liquid palm sugar ~ 70g
coconut milk (santan) – 20g
superfine flour ~ 75g
egg white ~ 200g (from 5 eggs)
castor sugar ~ 40g
lemon juice ~ 1 tsp
7″square pan or 8″ round pan – use the normal pan and line the bottom for water bath method to prevent water sipping in
Instructions for egg whites and baking:
1. Beat egg white + lemon juice + castor sugar until firm peaks form.
2. Mix into egg yolk batter, 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time , first use a hand whisk to mix gently and at the end, switch to spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold up. Keep doing this until a nice smooth batter is obtained.
3. Pour the mixture into prepared pan, shaking gently from side to side to even out the top.
4. Put pan into a larger pan and filled up with hot water (about 1/3 of the batter pan). Bake with preheated oven at 160’C for 30 min then turn down to 150’C for 30 min. Temperature is indicative only.
5. Once baked, remove from the pan immediately, inverted on a rack and let it cool. If the bottom is still slightly wet, invert the cake on a silpat and bake it at 120C for 10 minutes to dry it out. That means you bake it without the pan, putting the cake top side up directly on the silpat. Once done, transfer to a rack and cool completely before slicing.
The following is another cake that I baked without the santan (trying to be healthy:P) and using an 8″ square pan, hence a shorter cake. I suggest you make your own gula melaka liquid instead of buying those ready made ones. You will find the taste and smell is much more superior.
I substitute the gula melaka with 90g of raspberry puree to make the cake below…still prefer the gula melaka version:D. I didn’t weigh the eggs here, just use 5 eggs (Medium size) and 1 whole egg.
This is baked in new Smeg oven at 140C for 1.5 hours steam bath method:-
Second attempt with Smeg, this time using water bath method, timing as follows:
160C/10 mins, 140C/30 mins; 135C/20