Recipe from My Mind Patch, method adapted to kneading by stand mixer
Yield : 9 buns in 18cm square pan (I used an 8″ square)
Ingredients (all at room temperature)
150g whole milk
20g condensed milk (I used condensed creamer)
3/4 tsp instant dry yeast
225g bread flour
25g top/cake flour
40g fine sugar
25g beaten egg
1/4 tsp salt
30g unsalted butter
Some flour for sprinkling on bread top
A 7 or 8″ square pan, lined with grease proof
1. Place milk/condensed milk mixture in the mixer bowl sprinkle dry yeast over the surface without stirring it. Cover with a lid and let it stands for about 15 minutes to activate the yeast.
2. Pour all the rest of the ingredients into a mixing bowl, except the butter. Start mixing with a dough hook at low speed. After a dough is formed, add the soften butter and continue kneading until the dough is tacky but not sticking to the sides of mixer bowl but should still stick to the bottom; if it is not, then you may have added too much flour or too little water. I probably knead for 10 minutes on low speed before the dough is ready.
3. Let it proof in the mixing bowl until doubled in size. Remove on to a lightly floured worktop and degas by gently flattening it.
4. Divide into 9 equal portions and shape into a ball. Place in the prepare baking pan and spray some water on the buns and sprinkle some flour on the top.
5. Leave to rise again until almost to the rim.
6. Preheat your oven to 180C, put in your buns and reduce heat to 160C and bake for 10 minutes before reducing temperature further to 140C and continue baking for another 10-12 minutes. Mine took another 15 minutes to bake to the desired color.
7. Remove from the pan immediately after cooked and allow to cool on rack.