250g cream cheese (1 block)
6 egg yolks
70g castor sugar
60g butter (1/4 block)
100 ml full cream milk
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest (or lemon essence) (optional)
60g cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp Vanilla extract (optional)
B) 6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
70g castor sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C (Top and bottom heat, no fan force)
2. Line bottom of a 8in x 3in cake pan and grease the sides.
3. Whisk cream cheese and butter till smooth over a water bath or can do double boil method.
4. Add the sugar (70g) and whisk until dissolved. Remove from water bath
5. Add cold milk and whisk until combined.
6. Add egg yolks one at a time and whisk until smooth.
7. Add vanilla, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest and whisk
8. Sift flour and fold into mixture. Set aside.
9. Whisk whites at low speed till foamy
10. Add cream of tartar and beat at high speed till bubbles become very small but still visible
11. Gradually add sugar (70g) and beat till just before soft peaks (I beat till soft peaks)
12. Fold whites into batter 1/3 at a time. Set aside a couple of tablespoons. Divide batter into 2 portions and add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into one portion together with the reserved meringue. Gently fold until combined.
13. Pour both batter alternately into prepared pan and tap the pan on the counter to release air bubbles
14. Bake on the lowest rack in a preheated 200 degree C oven (top and bottom heat, no fan force) for 18min, lower to 160 degree C for 12 mins and turn off the oven and leave cake in the closed oven for 30 mins. Open the door of the oven slightly at the end of the baking for 10 mins for cake to cool. (I bake at 160C /10 mins then 140C/60mins then leave in oven for 20 mins)
Update on temperature for Smeg: 160C for 1hr then off oven, remove water and put cake back into off oven for 10 mins.