MAGIC CUSTARD CAKE from here
4 large egg whites,
½ tsp white vinegar (or 1/3 tsp cream of tartar)
¼ cup castor sugar (60g);
4 large egg yolks,
60g icing sugar
75g butter melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp water
115g cake flour (low protein)
2 cups (478g) lukewarm milk
Fully line and grease an 8″ square cake pan with parchment paper. Try to use one whole piece of paper to ensure no leakage.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with both sugars, water and vanilla until light. Add melted butter and continue beating for another minute. Then add the flour and mix it in.
- Add the lukewarm milk and beat until well incorporated.
- Gently fold in meringue using a handwhisk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated 160C oven for about 60 minutes or until the top is golden. Different ovens have different temperature so check for doneness before removing.
- Cool in the pan for at least 3 hours. Serve warm or cold with a sprinkled with icing sugar.