Recipe source from Aunty Young
Almond Ogura Cake
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg 1
1/2 tsp salt
60g corn oil
40g superfine flour
60g ground almond (almond meal)
5 egg white
100g castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar or 1 tsp lemon juice
Line the bottom of a 7″ square pan. Preheat oven to 160C.
1. Beat the egg yolks, whole egg, salt, corn oil and milk until creamy before adding the sifted flour and almond meal. Mix until thoroughly combined before setting aside and prepare the meringue.
2. Beat egg whites until foamy before adding the cream of tartar or lemon juice. Gradually add the sugar once the foam became fine. Continue beating to firm peaks.
3. Mix the meringue into the yolk batter in 3 additions, using a hand whisk or a spatula, folding until the batter is well combined.
4. Bake in preheated oven using water bath method at 160C for 30 mins before lowering the temperature to 150C and bake for another 30 mins. Remove water bath and continue to bake at 120C for another 5-10 mins to make sure the bottom of cake is dry.
5. Unmould and invert on a rack, peel off the lining before inverting back up and cool completely.