5 yolks 1 egg
1 tbsp of lychee Paste (can use lychee cordial or pudding powder if cannot find paste. I too have difficulty finding it after using up my paste. Have to adjust the sweetness if using cordial or pudding powder)
60g of oil
pinch of salt
200g egg white (from 5 eggs)
100g castor sugar (80g if you want it less sweet)
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar (or 1tsp lemon juice)
utensil : 7″square pan or 8″ round pan – use the normal pan and line the bottom. Water bath method so make sure your pans are not leaking!
1. Beat the egg yolk, whole egg, salt, lychee paste, oil and milk until fluffy.
2. Sift in flour, then mix it until well combined.
3. Beat egg white + lemon juice (or cream of tartar) + castor sugar until firm peaks form.
4. Mix into egg yolk batter, 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time , first use a hand whisk to mix gently and at the end, switch to spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold up. Keep doing this until a nice smooth batter is obtained.
5. Pour the mixture into prepared pan, shaking gently from side to side to even out the top.
6. Put pan into a larger pan and filled up with hot water (about 1/3 of the batter pan). Bake with preheated oven at 160’C for 30 min then turn down to 150’C for 20 min. Temperature is indicative only.
7. Once baked, remove from the pan immediately, inverted on a rack and let it cool. If the bottom is still slightly wet, invert the cake on a silpat and bake it at 120C for 10 minutes to dry it out. That means you bake it without the pan, putting the cake top side up directly on the silpat. Once done, transfer to a rack and cool completely before slicing. Note: Smeg oven temperature: 155C for 30 mins; 150C for 50 mins.