Lychee Sponge Cake
1 tbsp of lychee Paste (can use lychee cordial or pudding powder if cannot find paste. I too have difficulty finding it after using up my paste. Have to adjust the sweetness if using cordial or pudding powder)
60g of oil
pinch of salt
6 egg white
100g castor sugar (80g if you want it less sweet)
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar (or 1tsp lemon juice)
utensil : 7″square pan or 8″ round pan – use the normal pan and line the bottom. Water bath method so make sure your pans are not leaking!
1. Beat the egg yolks, salt, lychee paste, oil and milk until fluffy.
2. Sift in flour, then mix it until well combined.
3. Beat egg white + lemon juice (or cream of tartar) + castor sugar until firm peaks form.
4. Mix into egg yolk batter, 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time , first use a hand whisk to mix gently and at the end, switch to spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold up. Keep doing this until a nice smooth batter is obtained.
5. Pour the mixture into prepared pan, shaking gently from side to side to even out the top.
6. Put pan into a larger pan and filled up with hot water (about 1/3 of the batter pan). Bake with preheated oven at 160C for 80-85 min. Temperature is indicative only.