egg yolk ~ 100g (about 5 eggs)
whole egg 1
salt ~ 1/4 tsp
corn oil ~ 60g
pandan juice – 20g
liquid palm sugar ~ 50g
coconut milk (santan) – 20g
superfine flour ~ 90g
egg white ~ 200g (from 5 eggs)
castor sugar ~ 80g
lemon juice ~ 1 tsp or 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
utensil : 7″square pan or 8″ round pan – use the normal pan and line the bottom for water bath method to prevent water from sipping in
Instructions for yolk batter:
1. Whisk the egg yolk, whole egg, salt, corn oil, palm sugar, pandan juice and coconut milk until creamy.
2. Sift in flour, then mix it until well combined. Set aside.
Instructions for egg whites and baking:
1. Beat egg white + lemon juice + castor sugar until firm peaks form.
2. Mix into egg yolk batter, 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time , first use a hand whisk to mix gently and at the end, switch to spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold up. Keep doing this until a nice smooth batter is obtained.
3. Pour the mixture into prepared pan, shaking gently from side to side to even out the top.
4. Put pan into a larger pan and filled up with hot water (about 1/3 of the batter pan). Bake with preheated oven at 160’C for 30 min then turn down to 150’C for 30 min. Temperature is indicative only.
5. Once baked, remove from the pan immediately, inverted on a rack and let it cool. If the bottom is still slightly wet, invert the cake on a silpat and bake it at 120C for 10 minutes to dry it out. That means you bake it without the pan, putting the cake top side up directly on the silpat. Once done, transfer to a rack and cool completely before slicing.
Personal note: Smeg oven temperature ~ 155C for 70-75 minutes.
Separate all the eggs (no extra whole egg)
Bake at higher temperature of 160C for 70 minutes using water bath.