6 egg yolk
salt ~ 1/4 tsp
corn oil ~ 60g
pandan juice – 20g
liquid palm sugar ~ 50g
coconut milk (santan) – 20g
superfine flour ~ 90g
6 egg white
castor sugar ~ 80g
lemon juice ~ 1 tsp or 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
utensil : 7″square pan or 8″ round pan – use the normal pan and line the bottom for water bath method to prevent water from sipping in
Instructions for yolk batter:
1. Whisk the egg yolks, salt, corn oil, palm sugar, pandan juice and coconut milk until creamy.
2. Sift in flour, then mix it until well combined. Set aside.
Instructions for egg whites and baking:
1. Beat egg white + lemon juice + castor sugar until firm peaks form.
2. Mix into egg yolk batter, 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time , first use a hand whisk to mix gently and at the end, switch to spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold up. Keep doing this until a nice smooth batter is obtained.
3. Pour the mixture into prepared pan, shaking gently from side to side to even out the top.
4. Put pan into a larger pan and filled up with hot water (about 1/3 of the batter pan). Bake with preheated oven at 160’C for 30 min then turn down to 150’C for 30 min. Temperature is indicative only.
5. Once baked, remove from the pan immediately, inverted on a rack and let it cool.
Personal note: Smeg oven temperature ~ 160C for 80-85 minutes.
Pandan Gula Melaka Sponge Cake