Recipe source: Food@Home Sweet Home
120g cream cheese
25g corn oil
80ml full cream milk
1/8 tsp salt
65g superfine flour
5 egg yolks (large eggs)
5 egg whites
60g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1.5 tablespoon of cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 155C and line the bottom and grease the side of an 8″ round pan. Prepare a bigger pan, filled with hot water that should reach to 1/3 the height of the baking pan.
1. Double boil cheese, oil, salt, 40g sugar and milk until smooth and leave to cool till warm before adding the egg and yolks. Hand whisk until the smooth before adding the sifted flour and mix will before setting aside while you prepare the meringue.
2. Whip the eggwhites until foamy before adding the cream of tartar. Continue to whip until the foams are finer before gradually adding the 60g of sugar. Beat until firm peaks.
3. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter, mix well before adding the second 1/3 portion and finally the last portion.
4. Remove about 1/3 of the batter and add the cocoa powder. Mix in gently with a handwhisk.
5. Pour in the plain batter to fill the bottom of the baking pan. Next pour in a 1/3 portion of the cocoa batter. Tap a few times to remove bubbles and at the same time flatten the batter a bit. Pour another portion of plain batter on top of the cocoa batter and tap again to remove bubbles and flatten the batter. Repeat the process alternating the batter on top of the other until complete.
6. Bake in the water bath for 70 minutes at 155C. Remove and unmould when the cake as shrank slightly. Invert back to top side up to cool.