Marbled Butter Cake
Adapted from Table for Two …..or More
Serves:16/55g/216 calories (Based on a 2000 calorie diet)
Mixture A :
230g unsalted butter at room temperature
50g fine sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (home made)
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons milk
200g self raising flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp salt
Mixture B :
4 egg whites
150g fine sugar
Line the bottom and grease the sides of an 8″ round pan or a 7″ square pan. Alternative, grease 5 mini bundt moulds.
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla essence.
2. Add egg yolks one at a time and mix well.
3. Add flour in three additions. In the first addition, add 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix on low speed until just incorporated. In the next addition, add in second tablespoon of milk and mix. Then add in last addition of flour. Do not over mix.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites and gradually add sugar. Whisk until stiff peaks.
5. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the butter mixture. Mix well and fold in the remaining egg whites.
6. Tap baking pan on work surface a few time to release air bubbles and to level the batter.
7. Bake at 160C for 60 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted. For mini bundt cakes, bake at 160C for 40 minutes.