6 egg white
70g castor sugar
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
utensil : 7″square pan or 8″ round pan – use the normal pan and line the bottom. Water bath method so make sure your pans are not leaking!
1. Beat the egg yolks, salt, yoghurt and oil until smooth.
2. Sift in flour, then mix it until well combined. After this, I added a couple of drops of blueberry colour to give it a deeper color. Set aside.
3. Beat egg white and cream of tartar until foamy before gradually adding castor sugar until firm peaks form.
4. Mix into egg yolk batter, 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time , first use a hand whisk to mix gently and at the end, switch to spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold up. Keep doing this until a nice smooth batter is obtained.
5. Pour the mixture into prepared pan, shaking gently from side to side to even out the top.
6. Put pan into a larger pan and filled up with hot water (about 1/3 of the batter pan). Bake with preheated oven at 160’C for 80-85 mins. Temperature is indicative only.
7. Once baked, remove from the pan immediately, inverted on a rack and let it cool. If the bottom is still slightly wet, invert the cake on a silpat and bake in residual heat (oven not switched on) for 10 minutes to dry it out. That means you bake it without the pan, putting the cake top side up directly on the silpat. Once done, transfer to a rack and cool completely before slicing.
Blueberries Yoghurt Sponge Cake
6 egg white