Ingredients for 12 cupcakes:-
100g salted butter
100g cake flour
6 large egg yolks
6 large egg whites
100g caster sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar – Can replace with 12g of cornstarch (mix into sugar)
Filling: Whipped cream
1. Arrange 12 paper cups on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 150C. Middle rack.
2. Separate cold eggs into two mixing bowls. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan until bubbly then switch off the heat.
4. Immediately add in flour, stirring with a handwhisk until it becomes a thick batter. Transfer this batter into a mixing bowl. Add in cold milk stirring to mix into a smooth batter.
5. Add in the egg yolks, whisking until a slightly runny but smooth batter is obtained.
6. Beat egg whites till foamy add cream of tartar, beat until fine foams before gradually adding the sugar and continue to beat to firm peaks.
7. Mix a third of the meringue into the yolk batter and mix thoroughly with handwhisk. Add another third portion and mix gently, still using a whisk. Add the last third portion, using the whisk to stir a few strokes before switching to spatula and gently fold the batter until meringue is fully incorporated.
8. Divide evenly into the prepared paper cups (batter should fill up to 90% full) and bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
9. Allow to cool completely before piping in the filling.