Charcoal Zebra Stripes Ogura
50g vegetable oil
Pinch of Salt
5 yolks (100g) + 1 Whole egg (B eggs)
65g Plain Flour + 10g coconut milk powder (buy the one with pandan flavor for more fragrance)
1 tbsp Charcoal powder mix with 1 tbsp hot water
5 Egg white (200g)
80g Castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (can replace with 1 tsp lemon juice)
Prepare a 8″ round pan, line the bottom with paper and grease the sides.
Preheat oven to 160C and get ready a shallow tray to hold the baking pan for water bath.
Boil some water for water bath.
1. Whisk with a hand whisk the first 4 ingredients until combined before adding the flour and whisk until smooth.
2. Beat egg white with an electric mixer until foamy then add in cream of tartar and beat for a minute before adding castor sugar gradually and continue to beat until firm peaks.
3. Mix 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter with a hand whisk until well combined before adding another 1/3 portion and repeat until the last 1/3, switch to spatula and scoop batter from the bottom of the bowl and fold up to ensure complete mixing of the batter. Divide the final batter into 2 portions, and mix the charcoal mixture into one portion. Pour batter alternatively (about 2-3 tablespoons at a time) into baking pan to mimic zebra stripes.
4. Bake in a water bath at 160C for 10 minutes then lower to 145C for 60-70 minutes.
5. Invert the cake after baking, peel off lining and invert back up and let it cool completely before cutting the cake.