5 Egg white
80g Castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (can replace with 1 tsp lemon juice)
Prepare a 8″ round pan, line the bottom with paper. I did not grease the side for this cake.
Preheat oven to 150C and get ready a shallow tray to hold the baking pan for water bath.
Boil some water for water bath.
NOTE: If do not have yam emulco, use 60g of mashed yam (taro) to replace milk
1. Whisk with a hand whisk the first 5 ingredients until combined before adding the flour and whisk until smooth.
2. Beat egg white with an electric mixer until foamy then add in cream of tartar and beat for a minute before adding castor sugar gradually and continue to beat until firm peaks.
3. Add 1/3 of meringue into the yolk batter and mix well with a hand whisk to lighten the batter. Add another 1/3 and mix till combined. Lastly add the final portion and whisk briefly to combine before switching to spatula to scoop batter from bottom and fold up until no more streaks of yolk batter can be seen.
4. Pour into a 8″ round baking pan (lined with baking sheet at the bottom), and bake in a water bath at 160C for 80-85 minutes. Time and temperature is indicative only.
5. Invert the cake after baking, peel off paper and invert back up on to a rack to cool.