Chocolate Sponge cake
Recipe adapted from Neo Sook Bee who adapts from xingfuzhiwei
6 eggs yolks – I used grade B eggs which is about 60g
70g corn oil
80g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
100g milk or water
6 eggs whites
Line the base of an 8″ round pan. Do not grease the sides.
1. Put oil in a saucepan and heat on low fire until just simmering. If you have a thermometer it should read 70C. Remove and immediately add the flour and cocoa powder (sift both together before adding) and stir with a whisk until smooth.
2. Add in the milk or water and stir to combine. At this stage the batter will becomes thick and lumpy.
3. Add in egg yolks and whisk with hand whisk until batter is smooth and runny again. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
6. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 190C for 15 minutes before lowering to 145C for another hour or until the cake bounces back when you lightly press the top.
7. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding. You can invert it like you would a chiffon cake to cool completely before unmoulding if you wish.
8. Cool completely before you proceed to frost the cake.
The following is the chocolate ganache that I used:
Heat up 100ml of whipping cream and then add into the hot cream, 200g of semi sweet chocolate chips. Let it seat for a while before stirring until the chocolate is fully melted. Add about 20g of butter and mix until the ganache is smooth and shinning.
or you can do a 1:1 ratio for a runnier ganache.
The following is gula melaka variation: – Replace 50g sugar with gula melaka and milk with coconut milk. Melt the gula melaka with the coconut milk by heating both and stir until fully dissolved. Cool completely before using.