3 large eggs yolk
40g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
orange zest from 3 small oranges or 1 large orange
60g vegetable oil
100 g fresh orange juice (2 small oranges is sufficient)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs white
60g caster sugar – can reduce another 10g if orange juice is sweet
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Zest the oranges and squeeze out juice. Measure out 100g and set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, place the yolks, oil, salt, vanilla extract, zest and 50g sugar and beat with a hand whisk until all ingredients are incorporated.
4. Beat the eggwhites until frothy before adding cream of tartar. Continue beating until fine foams then gradually add in the 60g of sugar. Beat to stiff peaks.
5. When the meringue is almost done, add in the orange juice to the yolk batter followed by the flour and whisk quickly to incorporate until mixed.
6. Add 1/3 of meringue into the yolk batter and mix well with a hand whisk to lighten the batter. Add another 1/3 and mix till combined. Lastly add the final portion and whisk briefly to combine before switching to spatula to scoop batter from bottom and fold up until no more streaks of yolk batter can be seen.
7. Pour into prepared pan and tap on the table top to remove bubbles and also to even out the batter.
8. Bake at 160C for 70 minutes. Remove from oven and invert immediately to cool.
[Note: 2nd attempt temperature at 155C for 1 hour]