Strawberry Sponge Cake
1 tbsp of Strawberry Paste
60g of oil
pinch of salt
6 egg white (Large)
100g castor sugar (80g if you want it less sweet)
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar (or 1 tsp lemon juice)
utensil : 7″square pan or 8″ round pan – use the normal pan and line the bottom. Water bath method so make sure your pans are not leaking!
1. Whisk with a hand whisk the first 5 ingredients until combined before adding the flour and whisk until smooth.
2. Beat egg white with an electric mixer until foamy then add in cream of tartar and beat for a minute before adding castor sugar gradually and continue to beat until firm peaks.
3. Add 1/3 of meringue into the yolk batter and mix well with a hand whisk to lighten the batter. Add another 1/3 and mix till combined. Lastly add the final portion and whisk briefly to combine before switching to spatula to scoop batter from bottom and fold up until no more streaks of yolk batter can be seen.
4. Pour into a 8″ round baking pan (lined with baking sheet at the bottom), and bake in a water bath at 155C for 70 minutes.
5. Invert the cake after baking, peel off paper and invert back up on to a rack to cool.