Gula Melaka Sponge cake
6 eggs yolks – large
70g corn oil
Pinch of salt
100g coconut milk + 50g gula melaka = melt by heating and then leave to cool
100g plain flour
6 eggs whites
50g sugar – reduce to 40g if frosting the cake
Line the base of an 8″ round pan.
1. In a large mixing bowl, add in the first 4 ingredients and stir to combine. Add flour and mixed into a smooth batter. Set aside.
2. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until soft peaks form.
3. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 190C for 15 minutes before lowering to 145C for another hour or until the cake bounces back when you lightly press the top.
5. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding.
6. Cool completely before you proceed to frost the cake.
To frost the cake, just whip up 200ml of whipping cream (I used the ready to whip with sugar added type of cream). Add a few drops of vanilla extract towards the end and mixed well.