Orange sponge cake
6 large egg yolks
100g orange juice
90g cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
Zest of one orange
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Line the bottom an 8″ round pan. Preheat oven to 155C
2. Sift flour and salt together.
3. Beat egg yolks, oil together until combined before adding orange juice and zest.
4. Stir in the flour. Set aside.
5. Beat egg whites until frothy before adding cream of tartar. Continue beating while gradually adding the sugar. Beat till soft to firm peaks but not stiff.
6. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter with a hand whisk. Add another 1/3 and fold until almost combined. Add the last portion and switch to a spatula to scoop the batter from the bottom of the bowl and fold up. Keep at it until no streaks of yolk batter can be seen.
7. Pour into prepared pan and bake with a water bath at 155C for 70-75 minutes or until cooked.
8. Remove from oven, wait until cake has pulled away from the sides before inverting on to a smooth non stick pan. Remove paper lining and re-invert on to a rack.
9. Place cake in the oven (do not turn it on) to dry using the remaining heat if the cake is still wet.