Milo Zebra Ogura
50g Corn oil
Pinch of salt
5 yolks (large eggs)
1 large egg
70g Cake flour
5 egg whites
65g castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3 tbsp Milo and 1 tsp cocoa powder mixed with 2 tbsp hot water to dilute
1 .In a large mixing bowl, whisk with a hand whisk, corn oil, milk, salt, egg and egg yolk until well blended. Add flour and whisk until just combined. Set aside.
2. In a stand mixer bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy before adding cream of tartar. Continue beating while adding the sugar gradually and beat till firm peaks form.
3. Add 1/2 meringue into the egg yolk batter, using a whisk mixed until combined before adding the balance and mix with hand whisk briefly before switching to a spatula to scoop the batter from bottom of the bowl and fold up. Make sure no more streaks of yolk batter can be seen.
4. Divided batter into two equal portions, and add the prepared Milo mixture into one portion.
5. Pour about a ladleful of each batter into baking pan alternatively until complete. Tap gently on tabletop to remove air bubbles.
6. Bake in a preheated oven with the water bath method at 150C for 70-75 mins or until cooked.
7. Remove from oven, wait till cake has pulled away from pan before unmoulding and allow to cool on a rack.
Note: 1) Second attempt I used the whole packet of 3-in-1 milo and added a heap teaspoonful of cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of hot water to mix into paste.
2) Would try to bake at 140C next time since the 2nd bake at 145C still cracked.