Pandan Sponge cake (adapted from Neo Sook Bee’s recipe)
6 eggs yolks – I used grade B eggs which is about 60g
70g corn oil
100g plain flour
Pinch of salt
50g pandan juice
50g coconut milk
6 eggs whites
Line the base of an 8″ round pan. Do not grease the sides.
1. Put oil in a saucepan and heat on low fire until just simmering. If you have a thermometer it should read 70C. Remove and immediately add the flour and stir with a whisk until smooth.
2. Add in the coconut milk and pandan juice and stir to combine. At this stage the batter will become thick and lumpy.
3. Add in egg yolks and whisk with hand whisk until batter is smooth and runny again. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
6. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 190C for 15 minutes before lowering to 145C for another hour or until the cake bounces back when you lightly press the top.
7. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding.