Pandan Sponge cake – using coconut paste instead of oil
6 eggs yolks – I used grade B eggs which is about 60g
50g coconut paste
90g plain flour
Pinch of salt
50g pandan juice
6 eggs whites
Line the base of an 7″ square pan. Do not grease the sides.
1. Put coconut paste in a mixing bowl and add in egg yolks, salt, pandan juice and milk. Stir to combine. Then add in the flour, mix until smooth then set aside.
2. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
3. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 150C for 80 minutes or until the cake bounces back when you lightly press the top.
5. Remove from oven and unmould when the cake pulls away from the side. Allow to cool completely before slicing. Keep lett overs in air tight container, in the fridge.