Gula Melaka Coconut Sponge Cake
50g Coconut paste (if you can’t find this paste, just replace with coconut cream)
150g Cake Flour, sifted
6 egg yolks
1 tsp Vanilla extract
70g gula melaka, grated
1/2 tsp salt
6 egg whites
100g castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Utensil: 2 6″ pan, lined the bottom.
1. Heat up water in a sauce pan and add gula melaka and coconut paste to melt.Set aside to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Once cooled, add yolks, oil and salt and mix well. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy before adding cream of tartar and continue to beat until foamy before gradually adding sugar. Beat to firm peaks.
4. Add half the flour into the yolk batter and mix until just incorporated. Next add a scoop of meringue and mix to lighten the batter. Pour in the remaining flour and mix until combined.
5. Add the rest of the meringue in 2 portions and mix until well combined.
6. Pour into prepared tin and steam bake at 150C for 60 minutes or until golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed.
7. Remove from oven and allow wait 5 minutes before unmoulding and allow to cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Note: My oven is 72L built in and has 5 racks. I baked this cake on the second rack counting from bottom.