Neapolitan Sponge cake adapted from Minty’s Kitchen
90g plain flour
12g corn flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
70g Corn oil
100g coconut milk (I used 50ml milk + 50ml coconut milk)
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
100g caster sugar
Few drops pink food colouring and 1 tsp of strawberry paste
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Sift both flours, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
2. Mix egg yolks together with vanilla extract, oil and milk until well blended. Sift in flour and mix until combined.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and beat to firm peaks.
4. Lighten the batter with 1/3 portion of the meringue using a hand whisk. Then add another 1/3 portion of the meringue and gently fold. Repeat with the remaining portion until fully incorporated.
5. Divide the batter into 3 portions. Add in food colouring and strawberry paste into one portion of the batter. Sift cocoa powder into the second portion and fold gently to combine. Leave the third portion plain.
6. Drop dollops of each portion of batter randomly into an 8″ round or 7″ square cake pan until complete.
Bang the cake pan on the kitchen bench to remove large air bubbles. Then, use a chopstick to swirl through the batter to create a marble effect.
Bake the cake at 155C for 70-80 minutes (steam bake method) or until cake is done. As you can see, the cake cracked so please adjust your temperature accordingly or use the method that works best for your oven.
After removing cake from the oven, wait for the cake to pull away from the pan before unmoulding.