RED VELVET CUPCAKES ~ shared by Munira Bamadhaj
10g Cocoa Powder
150g Plain Flour
½ tsp Salt
60g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
150g Caster Sugar
1 Egg, lightly beaten
20ml Red Food Colouring
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
120ml Buttermilk – make your own by measuring out 120ml of milk and add a tsp of lemon
juice or vinegar, stir and let it stand for few minutes
½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1½ tsp White Vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Middle rack.
2. In a bowl, sift together the first 3 ingredients. Set aside.
3. In the stand mixer bowl, place the butter and the sugar in a bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
4. Increase speed to high and slowly add the egg and beat until well combined. Add red food colouring and vanilla extract and reduce speed to low as soon as the batter is evenly mixed.
5. Add in 1/3 of flour, followed by 1/2 of buttermilk, then another 1/3 flour and the balance buttermilk and finally ending with flour. Quickly mix vinegar and bicarbonate of soda together and immediately add to the batter as it sizzles. Switch off the Mix it in quickly until fully incorporated.
6. Pour the batter into greased tins and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
56g Unsalted Butter
49g Crisco (Shortening) or any other vegetable shortening
125g Cream Cheese
400g Icing Sugar (sifted)
1/2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Lemon Extract (optional)
Cream softened butter and Crisco until smooth. Add softened cream cheese and beat till fully incorporated. Add vanilla extract and salt before gradually adding icing sugar while beating until smooth.
I used my version:
50g softened cream cheese
50g softened unsalted butter
pinch of salt
25g sifted icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
Cream butter and cheese together until soft and fluffy. Add icing sugar and the rest of the ingredients and beat until smooth. Place into piping bag with nozzle and pipe out rosettes on cupcakes.