Kentucky Butter Cake ( 10 inch Bundt Pan)
(Recipe inspired by this recipe : http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kentucky-butter-cake/)
360 gms cake flour (sifted)
360 gms caster sugar (divided use)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
250 gms unsalted butter
4 egg yolks (I used A grade)
4 egg whites
Butter Sauce Ingredients:
- Cream butter and sugar (reserve 100 gms for meringue) until light and fluffy. Add vaniila extract and mix in.
- Add egg yolk one at a time. Make sure they are well mixed before adding the next one.
- Mix in flour in 3 additions, starting with flour then adding half of the buttermilk, then flour, then buttermilk, ending with flour. Mix gently until incorporated but do not overmix. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy, then gradually add the reserved 100 gms sugar. Beat until firm peak (that would be a peak that folds back on itself)
- Add the egg white meringue to butter mixture in 2 additions. Mix at the lowest speed until incorporated.
- Scoop out about 1/3 of the batter and mix in the cocoa powder. Remember to sift the powder.
- Pour ½ the butter mixture into the prepared bundt pan, followed by the cocoa mixture and finally topping with the remainder of the butter mixture. Even out the top of the batter.
- Bake at 155 celcius, higher if using an aluminium pan (my pan is nonstick and dark) for 63 minutes (or a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean) in the middle rack.
REMEMBER TO GREASE AND FLOUR THE PAN!
Melt the butter, together with the water, sugar and vanilla extract on low heat. Do not let it boil.
Before unmoulding, poke holes (I used a fork) on the cake and drizzle butter sauce all over. When cooled, turn the cake over and brush remainder of the sauce all over the cake.