250g butter, room temperature
300g castor sugar
4 eggs (60g), separated
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
360g plain or cake flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup buttermilk – make my own by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into milk
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoon lemon juice
zest of one lemon
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Grease a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. In mixing powder cream butter and sugar (200g) until light and creamy. Add in yolks one by one until incorporated. Add vanilla extract.
3. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternatively starting and ending with flour. Mix until just combined.
4. Beat the egg whites until frothy before slowly adding remaining 100g sugar. Beat to stiff peaks. Fold into the yolk batter in 3 portions until incorporated.
5. Remove about 1/3 of the batter and sift in cocoa powder. Mix until incorporated.
6. Place half of the plain batter into the bundt pan, followed by the cocoa batter. Then add the balance of the plain batter.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then unmould and brush glaze all over the cake.
To Make Glaze: In a saucepan combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat, until fully melted and thickened.