Passion Fruit Sponge cake
6 eggs yolks – I used grade B eggs which is about 60g
60g corn oil
100g plain flour
Pinch of salt
70g passion fruit juice (add some seeds for decoration)
40g coconut milk
6 eggs whites
Line the base of an 7″ square or 8″ round pan. Do not grease the sides.
1. Put oil in a large mixing bowl together with the egg yolks and whisk to combine. Add in coconut milk , salt and juice and whisk again to mix then lastly add the flour. Mix well and set aside.
2. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
3. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 190C for 15 minutes before lowering to 145C for another hour or until the cake bounces back when you lightly press the top.
5. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding.