Mrs Ng’s Butter Cake in Zebra stripes
Adapted from Table for Two …..or More
Serves:16/55g/216 calories (Based on a 2000 calorie diet)
Mixture A :
230g unsalted butter at room temperature
150g fine sugar (reduced to 100g)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (home made) or bean from 1 vanilla pod
4 egg yolks (B grade)
200g self raising flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
Mixture B :
4 egg whites
50g fine sugar
Line the bottom and grease the sides of an 8″ round pan.
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract.
2. Add egg yolks one at a time and mix well.
3. Add flour in three additions. In the first addition, add 1/2 portion of milk. Mix on low speed until just incorporated. Add another portion of flour and mix again followed by the balance of milk. Then add in last portion of flour. Mix until combined but do not over mix.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites and gradually add sugar. Whisk until stiff peaks.
5. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the butter mixture. Mix well and fold in the remaining egg whites.
6. Divide the batter into two portions, sift in the cocoa powder for the chocolate batter. Mix gently with a hand whisk.
7. Alternately scoop (I used ice-cream scoop)of both the batters into cake tin until all batter has been used up. Give the pan a few knocks on the table top to level out the batter after each addition.
8. Bake at 145C (fan, 2nd rack) for 45-50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted.