Cheese/coffee Sponge Cake
25g Corn oil
125g Cream cheese
1/4 tsp Salt
4 Egg yolk from large eggs (about 100g)
70g Cake flour
4 Egg white from large eggs (200g)
80g Castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Coffee layer: 2 tsp coffee powder dissolved with 1 Tbsp hot water
1. Mix together corn oil and cream cheese in a bowl, place over a double boiler to melt the cream cheese. Once melted, add milk to temper.
2. Add egg yolk, and salt, then add sifted flour. Mix well before setting aside.
3. In a stand mixer, beat egg white until frothy, then add cream of tartar and beat until foamy before gradually adding castor sugar and continue to beat till firm peaks.
4. Fold in 1/3 portion of the meringue into the yolk batter at a time until no streaks of yolk batter can be seen. Divide into two portions and add the coffee mixture into one. Mix well before pouring both batters alternatively into an 8″ round pan (bottom lined and side greased).
5. Bake at 150C for 80 minutes in water bath or until cooked. Remove from oven and wait 5 minutes before unmoulding. Peel off paper liner and invert back up on to baking tray lined with parchment and put back into the oven to dry with the residual heat. Do not switch on the oven.