Butter Sponge Cake
Recipe adapted from Ennety’s Butter Chiffon Cake
Embosser can be purchased from Etsy.com
60g salted butter
85g AP flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
4 egg yolks (from 60g eggs)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg whites
75g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. In a pot, heat butter until just bubbly, switch off fire, then add 2/3 of the flour, stirring until smooth.
2. Add milk and vanilla extract and keep stirring. Followed by egg yolks. Lastly, add the last portion of flour and mix until smooth. Set aside while you prepare the meringue.
3. Place eggwhites into a stand mixer bowl and beat until frothy before adding the cream of tartar and continue to beat until foamy. Gradually add sugar until firm peaks.
4. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and mix with hand whisk until lightened. Then add another portion and keep mixing until incorporated. Use a spatula to scoop from bottom of pan and fold up to ensure batter are properly mixed.
5. Pour into a bottom lined 7″ pan and baked in water bath at 155C for 70 minutes. Remove water and return cake into switched off oven to continue baking for another 10 minutes.
6. Remove and unmould. If sides are still wet, return to oven to dry in the residual heat for another few minutes.
For cupcakes: fill up to 90% full and bake without water bath at 140C for 30-40 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and immediately give each cup cake a few taps on the table top to minimize shrinking.