5 egg yolks
60g corn oil
85g Jello crystals
120g AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Few drops of red colour if want to try dual tone
Preheat oven to 160C. Line the bottom of an 8″ round pan and grease the side.
1. Sift flour, salt and baking powder.
2. Beat egg whites until foamy before adding cream of tartar. Continue to beat while gradually adding the sugar and beat till firm to stiff peaks. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl briskly whisk together the first 4 ingredients until blended. Add in the flour mixture, whisk until combined.
4. Fold meringue into the yolk batter in 3 portions. Pour half the batter into the baking pan. Add the red coloring into the balance batter and gently mix with spatula. Gently scoop the batter on the top of the original colored batter. Tap gently to remove big bubbles. Run a skewer round to remove air pockets and shake the pan from side to side to even out the top.
5. Bake in preheat oven in a water bath at 160C for 80 minutes or until cooked. Remove and unmould then put back to dry in the remaining oven heat if bottom is wet.