Chocolate Chiffon Cake
4 egg yolks
20g caster sugar
80g cake flour
20g Hershey’s 100% Natural Cocao powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
60g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place the yolks, oil, salt, milk and 20g sugar and beat with a hand whisk until all ingredients together. Add in flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
3. Beat the eggwhites until frothy before adding cream of tartar. Continue beating until fine foams then gradually add in the 60g of sugar. Beat to stiff peaks.
4. Add 1/3 of meringue into the yolk batter and mix well with a hand whisk to lighten the batter. Add another 1/3 and mix till combined. Lastly add the final portion and whisk briefly to combine before switching to spatula to scoop batter from bottom and fold up until no more streaks of yolk batter can be seen.
5. Pour into 20cm tube pan and tap on the table top to remove bubbles and also to even out the batter.
6. Bake at 170C for 60 minutes (I am using Elba oven for this cake). Remove from oven and invert immediately to cool. Tent the top if it gets too brown.