Pumpkin Sponge Cake
100 gm pumpkin puree (roast/steam pumpkin until soft and scrap out the flesh and mash with a fork)
35 gm Coconut milk (santan)
35 gm vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
100 gm cake flour
100 gm egg yolks (6 eggs – grade B)
200 gm egg whites (6 egg whites)
100 gm castor sugar
Preheat oven to 170C. Line the bottom of an 8″ round pan and grease the sides.
1. In a big mixing bowl, add pumpkin puree, egg yolks, coconut milk, vanilla extract and oil. Use a hand whisk to blend together before adding flour. Whisk to combine and set aside.
2. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until foaming before gradually adding castor sugar. Continue to beat until firm peaks form.
3. Add 1/3 of the meringue and mix into the pumpkin batter. Fold with hand whisk to combine before adding another 1/3 portion. Repeat with remaining meringue and fold until no streaks of yolk batter can be seen.
4. Transfer batter into baking pan and tap a few times on counter top to remove big air bubbles and also helps to even out the batter.
5. Bake with water bath (bain marie) at 170C for 15 minutes, then reduce to 140C for 50 minutes. Remove water and reduce temperature to 100C and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
6. Unmould when cake has pulled away from the side of cake pan and cool completely on a rack before serving.