Banana Sponge Cake
5 egg yolks (55g eggs with shell)
60g corn oil
240 g mashed banana (3 Del Monte bananas)
1/4 tsp Salt
125g Cake flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 Egg whites
1/2 tsp Cream of tartar
utensil :7″ square or 8″ round pan, greased the sides and line the bottom.
1. Blend bananas with milk then whisk in egg yolks, vanilla extract, salt and corn oil until blended. Sift in the flour/baking soda and mix again until well combined. Set aside while you prepare the meringue.
2. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white until foamy, add cream of tartar, continue to beat as you gradually add castor sugar until firm peaks formed.
3. Mix 1/3 of meringue with yolk batter with a hand whisk. Add another 1/3 portion and fold gently with the whisk. Then pour in balance of meringue. Fold gently using a spatula until no more streaks of meringue can be seen.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
5. Bake in a water bath for 70 minutes at 160°C. If still can hear squishing sound when pressed lightly on the surface, bake a little longer. Remove remove water from oven and put back cake to bake at 100C for 5 minutes. Remove and unmould as soon as you can.