Black Sesame Sponge Cake
65 gm cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
40 gm black sesame powder
1/8 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
50 gm corn oil
80 ml milk
5 egg whites
80 gm castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Line the bottom of an 8″ round pan and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 160C; lowest rack.
1. Hand whisk egg yolks, milk, salt and corn oil until blended.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder together then mix sesame powder with the flour; add this to the egg yolk mixture until well combined. Set aside while you prepare the meringue.
3. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white, cream of tartar and castor sugar until firm peaks formed.
4. Mix 1/3 of meringue with yolk batter with a hand whisk. Add another 1/3 portion and fold gently with the whisk. Then pour in balance of meringue. Fold gently using a spatula until no more streaks of meringue can be seen.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
6. Bake in a water bath for 70 minutes at 160°C. If still can hear squishing sound when pressed lightly on the surface, bake a little longer. Remove remove water from oven and put back cake to bake at 100C for 5 minutes. Remove and unmould as soon as you can.