adapted to 5″, 6 layers
Recipe adapted from DreamersLoft
- 210g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 110g unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 180g caster sugar
- 3 egg whites room temperature (about 120g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 180g fresh milk, room temperature
- Food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease 6 x 5″ cake pans. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg whites gradually folowed by the vanilla extract and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk, until just blended. Stop to scrap down sides of the bowl with spatula when necessary.
- Divide batter evenly into 6 portions (each about 130g).
- Add food colouring to each portion, mixing well.
- Pour batter into cake pans and smooth the surface. Bake for about 16 to 18 mins.
- Place the cake pans on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes before inverting the cakes onto rack to continue to cool completely. If not frosting immediately, wrap each layer individually with clingwrap.
Those who wish to try the Mirror Glaze:
100g liquid glucose
100g pink chocolate or color of your choice
7g gelatin powder, bloom with 40g of water
67g condensed milk
Microwave the bloomed gelatin for 10 sec. Boil sugar, liquid glucose and 50g of water. Add the gelatin and condensed milk. Stir until well mixed then pour over the chocolate. Stir until mixed then use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until smooth. Leave to cool to about 35C before using.
Coat and freeze your cake well before pouring the mirror glaze on it. Leave in fridge to thicken then bring out to thaw at room temperature for a couple of hours before cutting.