Honey Sponge Cake
6 eggs yolks – I used grade B eggs which is about 60g
70g corn oil
100g plain flour
Pinch of salt
6 eggs whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (may replace with 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
Line the base of an 8″ round pan and grease the sides
1. Put oil in a saucepan and heat on low fire until just simmering. If you have a thermometer it should read 70C. Remove and immediately add the flour and stir with a whisk until a smooth paste is obtained.
2. Add in honey and milk and stir to combine. At this stage the batter will becomes thick and lumpy.
3. Add in egg yolks and whisk with hand whisk until batter is smooth and runny again. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
6. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 160C for 70 mins. Remove water bath and continue to bake at 100C for another 10 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding.
8. Cool completely before you proceed to frost the cake.
Whipped cream frosting:
150g whipping cream
30g icing sugar (sifted)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder (sifted)
Place all ingredients in the mixer bowl and whip until stiff (make sure you place your bowl and whisk in the chiller for a few minutes) and use it to frost the cake. Keep chilled while you prepare the ganache.
50g semi sweet dark chocolate chips
65g whipping cream
5g corn syrup
Nuke whipping cream for 20 seconds, stir and repeat. Pour over chocolate chips and add corn syrup. Stir until smooth and cooled before using.