Cooked dough method:
(Recipe for 7 square cupcakes liners)
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
35g corn oil
60g cake flour or superfine flour
50g fresh whole milk
3 egg whites
60g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Combine egg, egg yolks, vanilla extract and beat lightly. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan until about 70 Deg, then add all the sifted flour and cook through. Transfer to a mixing bowl and slowly add the egg mixture bit by bit, stirring with a spatula or whisk until smooth. Add milk and mix again. Strain batter at this stage if you still see lumps.
4. To make meringue, place the egg whites in a clean dry bowl of the mixer and beat until foamy. Gradually add sugar and beat to firm glossy peaks.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue to the batter and fold lightly. Pour the batter into the remaining meringue and lightly fold in until just incorporated. Gently pour into prepared paper liners right up to 95% full and tapping gently to level, and bake on 2nd level for 20 minutes at 160C then reduced to 150C for another 10-20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove baked cupcakes from oven and tap each cupcakes on the table to release hot steam. I was told this could minimize shrinkage.
Cool completely before piping in filling and deocrate.