Pandan Souffle Sponge Cake
13 x 8″ flat square cake pan, lined with parchment paper.
2 eggs (65g)
6 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
70g unsalted butter
120g all purpose flour (can use cake flour)
50g coconut milk
50g Pandan Juice (blend 6-7 leaves with 50g water)
6 egg whites
140g fine castor sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Combine egg, egg yolks, vanilla extract and beat lightly. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan, using low heat, then add all the sifted flour and cook through. Mixture will be lumpy at this stage. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the coconut milk and pandan juice and mix until blended. Next, slowly add the egg yolk mixture slowly, stirring with a spatula or whisk until a smooth batter is achieved. Strain batter and put aside.
4. To make the meringue, place the egg whites in a clean dry bowl of the mixer and beat until foamy. Add half the sugar and continue beating for a few minutes before adding the remaining sugar. Beat until the egg whites are glossy and firm peaks form.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue to the batter and fold lightly to mix before adding the next 1/3 portion, fold in until just incorporated and then adding the final 1/3 portion and fold until no streaks of meringue can be seen. Gently pour into prepared pan, scrap the top as level as possible and bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove baked cake from pan and allow to cool on rack completely before slicing into two equally parts. Take one piece and invert the bottom side up and apply whipped cream. Stack the other piece on the top, bottom side down. Chill a couple of hours before slicing.
Notes: useD Smeg oven baked at 170C (no fan)/15 minutes, 150C Fan/40 minutes.