Butter Souffle Sponge Cake
Batter enough for a 9″ round or 8″ square pan
2 eggs (65g)
6 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
70g unsalted butter
pinch of salt
120g all purpose flour (can use cake flour)
100g full cream milk
6 egg whites
140g fine castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Line the bottom of the pan and grease the sides well.
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Combine egg, egg yolks, vanilla extract and beat lightly. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan, using low heat, then add all the sifted flour (mix the salt into the flour)and cook through. Mixture will be lumpy at this stage. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the milk and mix until blended. Next, slowly add the egg yolk mixture, stirring with a spatula or whisk until a smooth batter is achieved. Strain batter and put aside.
4. To make the meringue, place the egg whites in a clean dry bowl of the mixer and beat until foamy. Add Cream of tartar and continue to beat while adding half the sugar and continue beating for a few minutes before adding the remaining sugar. Beat until the egg whites are glossy and firm peaks form.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue to the batter and fold lightly to mix before adding the next 1/3 portion, fold in until just incorporated and then adding the final 1/3 portion and fold until no streaks of meringue can be seen. Gently pour into prepared pan, scrap the top as level as possible and bake in a water bath for 90 minutes or until golden brown. Follow your own oven temperature and time please.
6. Remove baked cake from pan as soon as the cake starts to pull away from the pan and allow to cool on rack completely before slicing.
Notes: used Smeg oven baked at 160C (no fan)/30 minutes, 140C/60 minutes.