Pandan Sponge Cake using Chiffon (Cooked dough) recipe adapted from Ennety’s Orange Chiffon
160g Cake flour
1.5 tsp Clabbergirl double acting baking powder (or 2 tsp baking powder)
120g pandan juice
30g santan (coconut milk)
5 large egg yolks (65g egg)
1/2 tsp salt
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Utensil: 8 x 3″ round normal pan, line bottom and grease side
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Combine Pandan juice and coconut milk. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan, using low heat to 70C then add all the sifted flour/baking powder (mix the salt into the flour)and cook through. Mixture will be smooth and thick at this stage. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the pandan/coconut milk mixture and mix until blended. Next, slowly add the egg yolk mixture slowly, stirring with a spatula or whisk until a smooth batter is achieved. Set aside.
4. To make the meringue, place the egg whites in a clean dry bowl of the mixer and beat until foamy. Add Cream of tartar and continue to beat while adding the sugar and continue beating until the egg whites are glossy but at soft peaks.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue to the batter and fold lightly to mix before adding the next 1/3 portion, fold in until just incorporated and then adding the final 1/3 portion and fold until no streaks of meringue can be seen. Gently pour into prepared pan, and bake in a water bath for 90 minutes or until golden brown. Follow your own oven temperature and time please.
6. Remove baked cake from pan as soon as the cake starts to pull away from the pan and allow to cool on rack completely before slicing.
Notes: used Elba oven baked at 170C (no fan)/30 minutes, 150C/60 minutes. Remove water bath and put back to bake at 100C for 10 minutes.