Golden Banana Sponge Cake
6 eggs yolks – I used free range chicken eggs which are about 65g each
70g corn oil
100g plain flour
Pinch of salt
100g pureed banana – 1 large banana pureed with 2 tablespoon water then measure out weight needed
2 tablespoon greek yoghurt
6 eggs whites
Line the base of an 8″ round pan and grease the sides.
1. Put oil and yolks in a large mixing bowl and hand whisk until combined. Add banana puree and yoghurt and mix until well blended before adding the flour. Mix until just combine and smooth. Set aside.
2. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
3. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 160C for 70 minutes. Remove water bath and put back to bake in lower temperature of 100C for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding.