150g Cake flour
1.5 tsp Clabbergirl double acting baking powder (or 2 tsp baking powder)
105g coconut oil
120g pandan juice, use the residue (paste) for more vibrant colour
30g santan (coconut milk)
5 large egg yolks (65g egg)
1/2 tsp salt
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Utensil: 8 x 3″ round normal pan, line bottom and grease side
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Combine Pandan juice and coconut milk. Set aside.
3. Sieve flour/baking powder. In a mixing bowl add coconut oil, pandan juice, santan, salt and yolks and whisk until combined then add the sifted flour. Continue to mix until batter is smooth. Set aside.
4. To make the meringue, place the egg whites in a clean dry bowl of the mixer and beat until foamy. Add Cream of tartar and continue to beat while adding the sugar and continue beating until the egg whites are glossy but at soft peaks.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue to the batter and fold lightly to mix before adding the next 1/3 portion, fold in until just incorporated and then adding the final 1/3 portion and fold until no streaks of meringue can be seen. Gently pour into prepared pan, and bake in a water bath for 80 minutes or until golden brown. Follow your own oven temperature and time please.
6. Remove baked cake from pan as soon as the cake starts to pull away from the pan and allow to cool on rack completely before slicing.
Note 1: this cake is baked using Smeg oven with above stated temperature.
Note 2: If you bake this cake in a tube pan, it will be called chiffon cake:D If baking in tube pan, not necessary to bake in water bath. It’s ok for chiffon cakes to crack😛