Pumpkin Spice Sponge Cake
140g pumpkin puree
60g coconut milk
30g water (add more if your pumpkin puree is thick)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
6 large eggs (65g) yolk
150g self raising flour
1 tsp ginger powder
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line the bottom of an 8″ round pan and grease the sides.
2. In a large mixing bowl place oil, pumpkin purée, salt, vanilla and yolks and mix until well blended.
3. Add the flour and mix to combine. Set aside.
4. In the stand mixer, place egg whites and beat until foamy before adding cream of tartar. Continue to beat while gradually adding the sugar until meringue is at firm stage. when you lift up the whisk, it should be able to drip back and sit on top of the meringue without disappearing.
5. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and mix well before adding the next portion. Make sure you fold until no streaks of yolk batter can be seen.
6. Pour into prepared pan at a height and give it a few taps to remove big bubbles.
7. Bake with Bain Marie on the lowest level at temperature of 160C for 75-80 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and wait about 3-5 minutes till the cake has pulled away from the side of the pan before unmoulding.
9. Return to oven to dry the sides once you have unmoulded the cake.
@30 Sept 2016