Original recipe called Azuki Chocolate Cupcakes, kindly shared by Ng Mee Teng
As I do not have azuki beans, I named it Chocolate cupcakes instead with some changes.
175g Unsalted Butter
170g Castor Sugar
3 large eggs (65g) – room temperature
160g Plain Flour or Superfine Flour or Low protein flour – original recipe was 130g
50g Cocoa Powder (I used Valrhona 100% cocoa powder) -original recipe was 80g
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda – I added this
1/4 tsp Salt
125ml Buttermilk – made from 120g of milk + 1/2 tbsp Vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 160C fan mode. Prepare muffin tin with cupcakes paper cases.
2. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar till light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture alternatively with buttermilk into the batter using low speed, starting and ending with flour. Scrap the bowl with a spatula when necessary and give it a few folds to mix evenly.
4. Fill the paper cups to about 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 mins or till skewer inserted into a cupcakes comes out clean.
Cool completely on wire rack before adding frosting.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream :
3 Egg whites (Large eggs)
130g Castor Sugar
180g (reduced from 225g) Unsalted Butter, cut into 1 inch cubes, slightly thaw but still cold and firm
2 tbsp Greentea Powder
1.In the stand mixer bowl whisk together egg whites and sugar over a double boiler until the sugar has completely dissolved. Keep whisking to avoid cooking the eggwhites!
2. Remove from heat once the sugar has completely melted and using a stand mixer, beat the eggwhites for 4-5 mins or until stiff peaks forms and meringue is about room temperature.
3. Add the butter, 2 pieces at a time and continue to whisk till it holds stiff peaks. This may take about 10 mins.
4. Add Greentea powder and continue to beat until just combined. Use a spatula to scrap the bowl until evenly mixed.
5. Transfer the SMBC into a piping bag with a nozzle attached and frost your cupcakes as desired.