Vanilla Raisins Chiffon Cake
6 egg yolk
30g brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
80g corn oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
150g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
6 egg white
100g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
50g raisins – I soak in some water to plum them up then drained and pat dry on a kitchen towel
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Sift flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. With a hand whisk, whisk oil, vanilla, egg yolk, milk, salt and brown sugar together until combined.
4. Sift flour and baking powder into the egg yolk batter and whisk until smooth.
5. With an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites till frothy then add cream of tartar and gradually add sugar and continue to beat until firm peaks form.
6. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk batter until combined before adding the next 1/3 portion and mix again. Finally add the last portion and use a spatula to scoop from bottom and fold up until no streaks of white meringue can be seen. Gently fold in the raisins and then transfer the batter into a 20cm tube pan. You can use a 22cm pan if you wish for a shorter cake.
7. Place pan into a preheated oven and bake for 10 mins at 180C until the top has browned and then reduce heat to 160C and continue baking for 60 mins until cooked. Temperature and timing is indicative only. Please adjust according to your oven. You may tent the cake if it’s getting too brown.